There’s no shortage of things to do in Kent. And there’s no better way to experience all this dynamic city offers than by hanging out with the locals. Here are nine ways to act like a local in Kent.
- Experience an urban village. Locals don’t schlep to a concrete mall for retail therapy and entertainment. Kent Station offers fun stores, restaurants and a 14-screen AMC movie theatre. Want to relax like a local? Book a massage at Hand and Stone.
- Take a spin on the ice. From wobbly beginners to competitive athletes, Kent Valley Ice Centre is a popular spot for the Kent crowd. If ice isn’t your scene, make a hit at the batting cages or play a round of mini golf.
- Dine, a la Kent. Sit down for breakfast at Maggie’s on Meeker, or grab some Kent-brewed beer and locally sourced food from Airways Brewing. Kent’s vast international fare reflects the community’s vibrant diversity. Thai Chili and Fil Cuisine are local favorites.
- Test your trivia knowledge. Bring your knowledge and thirst to Reds Wine Bar and Craft Beer for Tuesday-night trivia. Show off your local knowledge and order glass of red from Kent’s Soos Creek Wine Cellars. Name-drop Kent-born Macklemore for good measure.
- Walk or bike a trail. When Kent locals seek a little nature Zen, they head to Soos Creek Trail. The seven-mile paved trail offers a blend of woods and open space, and stunning views of Mount Rainier. Keep your eyes peeled for wildlife.
- Shop (and dine) at a mega Asian mall. Great Wall Shopping Mall is THE place for Asian food, groceries and specialty items. Anchor store 99 Ranch is the largest Asian grocer in the US. Imperial Garden Seafood Restaurant is a go-to spot for dim sum.
- Take a swing at the local course. Riverbend Golf Complex, owned and operated by the City of Kent, features a championship 18-hole course, nine-hole par-three course, driving range and mini golf. Added bonus: Eye-popping views of Mount Rainier.
- Get some farm-fresh veggies. Carpinito Brothers has been serving Kent for more than 50 years. Pick up fresh fruits and veggies at the mondo produce market, stroll the garden center and nursery, or have some fall fun at Carpinito Brothers Pumpkin Patch.
- Take a walk on the art side. Art is big in Kent, and every third Thursday of the month the locals come together downtown to celebrate. Third Thursday Kent features artists in action, entertainment, food and free art activities. Start walking from Rusty Raven Studio.
Come to Kent and hang out with the locals. And find out more about all there is to see and do.